The widespread adoption and use of the International Building Code has heightened attention on the seismic design of structures throughout the United States. SDG engineers are recognized for their earthquake engineering expertise and the firm has extensive experience with the seismic design of structures, and in particular with the stringent requirements for healthcare facilities. Several of the firm’s engineers stay active within this specialized field of structural engineering through membership in earthquake engineering organizations, serving on committees, and making seminar and conference presentations.
SDG has designed multiple projects in Alaska, including Mat-Su Valley Regional Medical Center in Palmer-Wasilla. On November 30, 2018, a magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck South Central Alaska with an epicenter located just north of Anchorage, which was less than 30 miles from the facility. The hospital was designed as an essential facility to meet the stringent high seismic requirements of the International Building Code. Only minor cosmetic damage occurred during the earthquake, and the hospital was able to stay operational and see 117 people on the day of the quake.
SDG has three licensed structural engineers in California, and we have successfully designed multiple hospitals located near active fault zones. Healthcare projects in California require a review by the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSPHD), which involves a calculation submittal and detailed review of the design, drawings, and specifications.
SDG is also licensed as structural engineers in Washington, Utah, Oregon, Arizona, Nevada, and Illinois. Outside the West Coast, the Central United States is recognized as the area of greatest seismic risk in the country. Our seismic design experience includes projects in California, Alaska, and most of the other western states, as well as in western Tennessee, northwestern Mississippi, Arkansas, and western Kentucky.
Recent projects include:
- Barstow Community Hospital Replacement Facility, Barstow, CA
- DCI Dialysis Clinics, Rancho Cordova, Oroville, Sacramento and Ukiah, CA
- Holy Family Hospital Additions, Spokane, WA
- Iasis Healthcare’s Mountain Point Medical Center, Lehi, UT
- Lone Peak Hospital, Draper, UT
- Lone Peak Specialty Center, Draper, UT
- Mat-Su Valley Regional Medical Center, Palmer-Wasilla, AK
- McKenzie-Willamette Medical Center, Springfield, OR
- MountainView Hospital Additions and Parking Structure, Las Vegas, NV
- Timpanogos Hospital Tower Additions, Orem, UT
- Willamette Valley Medical Center, McMinnville, OR