Building Information Modeling (BIM) is utilized on most SDG projects with clients who use multiple design platforms. BIM has become the norm for building design, construction, and project management where 3-D software is utilized to capture geometry, spatial relationships, geographic information, and quantities and properties of building components. Structural systems including the building frame and foundations, as well as other structural assemblies can be modeled in a relative scale and combined with the architectural and MEP models. This facilitates coordination between the design disciplines and improved documentation for construction.
Architects and engineers continue to strive to balance the project scope, schedule, and budget. In the traditional design process when changes occur, information has to be assembled then sent to the other parties for incorporation into their documents. Using BIM, team members can make changes without lengthy re-coordination, at any time during the design process. In addition, design work and the construction documentation can be done concurrently instead of in succession, because design is captured as it is developed and embedded in the documents as the work proceeds.
SDG currently uses two 3D software platforms, Revit and Bentley 3D, to accommodate the needs of our clients. Our engineers are committed to staying on the cutting edge of BIM technology as it develops further and can work with the design team members to use this platform to the full advantage of the project Owner and Architect.
The majority of our projects are now developed using BIM technology.
Recent examples of projects utilizing BIM include:
- Gulch Crossing Office Building, Nashville, TN
- University of Kentucky Limestone Park I and II Student Housing Facilities, Louisville, KY
- Redstone Rotary Wing Hangar and Headquarters, Huntsville, AL
- Alliance Medical Center, Ft. Worth, TX
- Pearland Medical Center, Pearland, TX
- Smyth County Community Hospital, Marion, VA
- St. Mark’s Lone Peak Replacement Hospital, Draper, UT
- Iasis Lehi Medical Center, Lehi, UT
- Williamson Medical Center Additions, Franklin, TN